Discover the town centre of Saintes
A town of art and history, the capital of Saintonge will surprise you with its rich history and way of life. Known as a veritable jewel of Roman art in Poitou-Charentes, Saintes has also preserved its Gallo-Roman roots. Located on the banks of the Charente, Saintes boasts a green and picturesque landscape, which makes it ideal for a relaxing holiday. Here is a list of sites and monuments to visit in Saintes and its region as well as ideas for outings.
Monuments to visit in Saintes
- Abbaye aux Dames
- Arch of Germanicus
- Gallo-Roman amphitheatre
- Saint-Pierre cathedral
- St Eutrope Church and crypt
Historical museums and sightseeing ideas
- Archaeological Museum : Mediolanum, the ancient Saintes, was one of the largest cities of Roman Gaul. How did its inhabitants live? What did they eat? What games did they play?
- Museum Saintongeais : he life of the peasants of Saintonge from 1850 to 1930, through their work and related trades. Discover their daily life and their home. Exhibition of outfits and lace headdresses.
- Museum of the Echevinage : Paintings, sculptures and ceramics follow one another in this old town hall from the 16th and 18th centuries, nestled in the heart of the main pedestrian street of Saintes.
- The gardens of hostellerie : Open to visitors every day from Tuesday to Saturday. Entrance through the media library, place of the échevinage.
- The touriste train : cruising the city from May to September, the little train offers a circuit from 40min to 1h.
For additional information on all these sites, do not hesitate to contact directly the Tourist Office of Saintes - Place Bassompierre, 17100 Saintes - 05.46.74.23.82